Our Columbia Fall Bucket List will provide you with great activity ideas to keep you busy through the entire season. There’s a great mix of activities to choose from on our bucket list. We’ve included fun things to do in the fall, including outdoor activities, fall crafts, and seasonal entertainment. You can do all of these things right here in Columbia, Missouri. See if you can check off all 20 activities before the season ends!
Columbia Fall Bucket List: 20 Things to Do in Columbia This Fall
Fall Outdoor Activities:
- Go to a college football game. Check out our football schedule infographic.
- Take a nature hike. Columbia is full of parks with walking paths and hiking trails. Some of our favorites include Cosmo Park and Stephens Lake Park.
- Go camping at Rock Bridge Memorial State Park.
- Attend a bonfire with your friends. Hosting your own requires a permit, but you can attend planned bonfire events like the annual CAFNR Week Bonfire hosted by the UM College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources.
- Run a themed 5K race, such as a Halloween costume run or Jingle Bell run.
- Go on a hayride. You can enjoy a tractor-drawn hayride through the fields of Shryocks Callaway Farms, and then grab some festive drinks and snacks like kettle corn and hot chocolate in the farm’s Big Red Barn.
- Carve a pumpkin and display it in your yard or on your porch.
- Make a pinecone bird feeder by spreading a mixture of peanut butter and oats on a pinecone. Sprinkle it with birdseed, tie a string to the top, and hang it outdoors. Then, just wait for the birds to come and enjoy the sweet snack!
- Make a wreath for your front door. Pinterest is a great place to research design ideas, and you can find supplies at a craft store like Michaels or JoAnn.
- Bake a seasonal dessert like apple pie or pumpkin bread.
- Make hot chocolate or apple cider to warm up on a chilly fall evening.
- Roast marshmallows over a fire. If you want to take it further, go all the way and make some tasty s’mores!
- Go on a coffee date. Shortwave Coffee in downtown Columbia is one of our favorite spots for lattes, espresso, and freshly roasted coffee.
- Host a potluck Thanksgiving dinner with friends. A popular tradition among college students is to host a Friendsgiving with their friends before returning home to celebrate Thanksgiving with their families over break.
- Visit a Columbia farmers market to pick up fresh, seasonal foods grown and produced in the local community.
- Watch a scary movie during the month of October to get into the Halloween spirit. You can catch some old, classic horror films at Ragtag Cinema — Columbia’s independent film and media theater.
- Go to a play or ballet. Check out what performances are coming up from the UM Department of Theatre.
- Dress festively in a plaid flannel shirt or knit sweater. There’s no better weather than fall’s sweater weather!
- Go shopping on Black Friday or Cyber Monday for early holiday deals.
- Attend a fall festival, like the annual Hartsburg Pumpkin Festival or the annual Heritage Festival in Arrow Rock, just outside of Columbia.