We’re glad you are persevering through the semester! Keep your chin up — winter break will be here soon enough.
Do you have any questions about something in your apartment? If something is broken, please feel free to contact us. Maintenance requests can be submitted online through your resident portal at domainatcolumbia.com/residents. Please provide as much detail as possible to assist our maintenance techs in completing your work order as quickly as they can.
Your next rent installment is due November 1. The late fee policy at The Domain at Columbia is as follows: $25 on the 5th of the month and an additional $5 for every day it is late after the 5th of the month. Make sure to prepay for January before you leave for break so your check doesn’t get lost in the holiday mail!
Before leaving for break:
- Make sure you set your thermostat to “heat” and “auto” and to at least 65 degrees.
- DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR THERMOSTAT.
- Close and lock all your windows.
- Close your blinds.
- To prevent bugs:
- Don’t leave any food out.
- Clean your dishes before leaving.
- Take your trash out.
- Turn off alarm clocks.
- Make sure that all appliances are turned off. Do not leave the dishwasher or washer/dryer running as you leave.
- Turn off all lights and ceiling fans.
- Lock your bedroom door, patio door, and front door.
- Lock your vehicle if you aren’t taking it with you.
Locked out of your apartment, neighbors being loud, or have an emergency? Please call our new on-call phone for emergencies only! Just call (573) 214-2323, follow the prompt, and click for the on-call staff member.
Having internet or cable troubles? Call Single Digits at (877) 778-9283 to set up an appointment with one of their great technicians.
Be sure to check your calendars for the experiences planned for this month! If you have any ideas for events you might like, please let your Community Assistant know.
Building a Career in College
College is such a busy, crazy time for many people that focusing on the here and now is all most can do. Well, good news! There are several ways to incorporate career building into your everyday busy life. By taking the following steps, you’ll be on your way to creating a successful future for yourself:
- Check out the Career Success Portal. Did you know that your community offers you 24/7 access to millions of jobs and internships along with many tools to improve your resume and interviewing skills? Check out CareerSuccessPortal.com and create an account today!
- Visit your university’s career center. Employers are focusing more and more on experience and skills rather than just good grades. Get in touch with organizations through the career center to branch out and participate in different activities you normally wouldn’t have. This gives you a chance to explore your major and others, and see what you’re truly passionate about.
- Evaluate yourself. Your future employer will want to know why you’re a good fit for their company. College is about finding your strengths and weaknesses — take time now to figure out your skills, values, personality traits, and interests. Learning about yourself will help prepare you for interviews when you’re hit with the question, “What do you think you will excel at the most in this position?”
- Challenge yourself. The more you’re willing to get out of your comfort zone, the more likely you’re to overcome your weaknesses. Apply for the part-time job at your apartment complex you normally wouldn’t apply for, or take that theater class you’ve always wanted to take. By challenging yourself, you’re building important skills and personality traits that will help you rise within your field.
- Take your work seriously. Whether you have a part-time job or volunteer, take the experience seriously. You can use previous supervisors for references when you are beginning your career. It will pay off in the long run to succeed in the workplace by building useful skills that you’ll have for life.
- Find a mentor. Find someone who is doing what you want to do. You can search on LinkedIn to get connected and network with others in your field who are also passionate about what they do. Talk to your professors and pick their brains as to why they chose the career they did. Once you find a mentor, everything can change. You become more motivated to succeed in something you love doing because you have someone who makes the experience a million times better.
Did you know you can build your credit history just by paying your rent? A strong credit history can help you with achieving personal and professional success. We have partnered with RentTrack to offer you the opportunity to have your rent payments reported to all three credit bureaus! Participants in this program have seen their credit scores go up an average of 51 points! Get more details and enroll today at renttrack.com/campus-advantage.
Monday Morning Brunch with CA Marissa — Monday, November 4 @ 11 a.m. — Swing by the cyber cafe on your way to class for some yummy B&B bagels!
Mizzou Housing Fair — Wednesday, November 6 @ 9 a.m. — Looking for housing for 2019–2020? Come to the Mizzou Housing Fair in the Student Center basement! We’ll have brand-new T-shirts and other fun items. The first 20 residents to come say hi will receive a Chipotle gift card!
Walking Tacos with RD Hunter — Tuesday, November 12 @ 1 p.m. — Get your taco on at our walking taco bar in the cyber cafe!
Grocery Bingo with RD Hunter — Friday, November 15 @ 3 p.m. — Join us in the lounge and press your luck at a game of bingo for the chance to win a themed meal bag!
Thanksgiving Dinner with the Team — Wednesday, November 20 @ 4 p.m. — Join us, all your roommates, and neighbors in the cyber cafe for an amazing Thanksgiving meal to celebrate all we have to be thankful for!
Mizzou Tailgate with CA Tarin — Saturday, November 23 @ 1 p.m. — Join us in the clubhouse for some pre-game fun! Grab a snack and play a game of Jenga with your friends while waiting to catch the shuttle.
Coloring and Cocoa with CA Emily — Tuesday, November 26 @ 3 p.m. — Come warm up in the clubhouse with a delicious hot chocolate bar and relieve some stress with coloring!
Donut Delight with CA Taylor — Friday, November 29 @ 10 a.m. — Join us in the cyber cafe to start your Black Friday shopping off with a crazy donut and coffee!